About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Accomplishment

I think my overwhelming sense of accomplishment today is a result of my accomplishment lists on this blog and even more so because I loved class today!
Accomplishments Since Lunch:
-Printed out my paper
-Printed out articles for Research Methods Class
-Met with my group for Res. Methods and talked about our plan for the project ( and how silly our gastronomy class was yesterday- we watched Babettes Feast)
Asked a billion questions in class because it was such an interesting topic and speakers today!
Did you know the biggest health crisis to hit North America was in 1492 when European settlers brought with them diseases due to domestication of animals in Europes' cities... The Native American population in 1492 was estimated at 10-15 million, by 1900 that population was dessimated to a mere 237,000 people! Good news, they are now back up to about 3 million!
I cannot believe our governement, moreover The USDA, shipped loads of lard, and white flour to Indian Reservations as a way of providing food sources. And now the biggest components of Native American diets consist of "Fry Bread" ( lard and flour), and mutton stews/sammies. One of the main chronic diseases that affect American Indians/ Alaska Natives is Diabetes, and also (along with everyone else in the US) Heart Disease and Cancer.

Diet and physical activity are two majore preventative behaviors that can improve the prevalence and incidence of these chronic conditions... Maybe I will write my thesis on this because I am in awe of tons of other statistics/facts that I learned for this class!

On to dinner... Buffalo Grilled Chicken, Whole Grain Parmesean Rice, Mixed Steamed veggies...

YUMMMM! This is one of my favorite meals ! I try not to eat the "same" thing for lunch and dinner as i did today with chicken and veggies.
This meal is 2 servings of vegetables, 1/2 serving of rice , 1.25 servings of lean meat.

0 comments: