About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ribose

... As I just got the library and began studying nutrient metabolism where I left off, I find a chart of all carbohydrate types, their food sources and end products of digestion.

Below I posted about Detour's "Core Strength" bar to help with strength training due to ribose in the bar.

Ribose, (a pentose monosaccharide) according to one of my books, has "No food sources. "

"Ribose, xylose, and arabinose (all pentose monosaccharides) do not occur in free form in foods. They are derived from pentosans of fruits and from the nucleic acids of meat products and seafood. " Table 3.1 from Nutrition Basics

( I assume then Detour people extracted the derivative from fruits or meats and put it into their bars, I wonder if there is any scientific proof ingesting ribose in this form is beneficial at all ???????? Ding Ding Ding, Light Bulb : New Thesis Project Idea: Potential Benefits of Ribose in sports nutrition products ? Maybe... but I was considering: "The cost effectiveness of Organic Food Gardens in Schools and Communities" )

Food sources of Hexose Monosaccharides


Fruits, Honey, Corn Syrup for

  • Glucose...

Fruits and Honey only for
  • Fructose
  • Galactose
  • Mannose
Food sources for Polysaccharides

Indigestible Polysach.:

(food source is...) : Stalks, Leaves of vegetables, outer covering of seeds for
  • Cellulose
  • Hemicellulose
Fruits for
  • Pectins
Plant Secretions and Seeds for
  • Gums and Mucilages

Partially Digestible Polysach.:

(food source is..): J. Artichokes, onions, garlic, and mushrooms
  • Inulin

(ew) Snails (are a source of..)
  • galactogens

Legumes
  • Mannosans

Sugar beets, kidney beans, lentils, and navy beans
  • Raffinose

Beans
  • Stachyose
Fruits and Gums
  • Pentosans

Digestible Polysaccharide Food Sources are:

Grains, vegetables ( tubers and legumes) for
  • Starch
  • Dextrins

Meat Products and Seafood for
  • Glycogen

1 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Love all this information you're sharing, with your studies!! Thanks!! :0)