About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sweet Potato, Chicken, Brussel Sprouts and Healthy Fried Onion Rings

I know, you are probably thinking, healthy fried onion rings ?

Well, I consider them healthy. Here's how:

Batter ( in separate bowl):
2 Tablespoons Nonfat Greek Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Egg Beaters ( no cholesterol!)
Mix very well to a batter consistency

Breading (in separate bowl):
equal parts yellow cornmeal and flour- For one small onion ( me and Jeff), I used about 1/3 cup of cornmeal and 1/3 cup Organic Whole Grain AP Flour.
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Dash of Parm Cheese

Prep:
Heat 1 tablespoon smart balance oil in pan on medium. Slice onions into rings. Separate Rings. Dip and shake em in the batter...

Christmas 2008 013

then dip and cover them in the breading bowl...Christmas 2008 014

Drop em in the hot pan! A few minutes on each side.

I microwaved brussel sprouts, then popped em in the toaster oven. While all of this was going on, I was browning chicken breasts in a pan and then microwaved a sweet potato for 5 minutes in the microwave.
Christmas 2008 016

I topped the potato with Nonfat greek yogurt because the chicken serving looked too small (I prefer to eat a lot of lean protein )


So that was dinner for four/two. I made four chicken breasts (two for lunch tomorrow for each of us and enough onions and brussel sprouts too)!

Body:
Dancing with the stars Latin Cardio: I did 3 of the 4 dances and the toning/strength section.
Gym: Elliptical 45 minutes.

Mind:
I played suduko, read some of my never ending wonderful book, and had to comprehend the dance steps! I am getting better every time!

Soul:
Shopping! Well, sort of. I returned something to the store and bought Jeff a sweater and shirt I had been eyeing up, they were now on sale even more than before. He likes them!

I really enjoy and miss dancing. I am still looking for a new gym with classes, but also trying to sort out finances etc.

I like grocery shopping too, usually spending money bothers me a ton. For groceries though, I almost always feel better knowing I am buying healthy things that will give me energy.

We tried to book our romantic getaway trip but the website didn't let us through. So try try again tomorrow.

Happy Eve of New Years Eve!! Does anyone have exciting plans? W

-we still haven't made any definite plans.

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Sweet potatoes & brussels sprouts + fabulous Body, Mind, AND Soul tidbits for today = wonderful.

Danielle said...

Healthy fried onion rings????

Have I told you that you're amazing????

:) Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

MMM onion rings =) healthy-style too!!

Anonymous said...

No plans for New Years' Eve yet...which is weird but I guess we'll just see what comes up!
I used to be addicted to onion rings when I was younger - my ma always bought the ones you just throw in the oven but I think they didn't have much "onions" inside lol

Caitlin said...

Yum on the onion rings...look so good. Happy New Year...we don't really have set plans too but sometimes it's the last minute spontaneous nights that are the best!

HangryPants said...

Healthy onions rings - I am allll over that. Delicious!