About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Monday, January 5, 2009

B-Healthy's Paula Dean Creme De Menthe Brownies

I decided to make these bad boys because I love Andes Candies. The recipe called for their chips but I just crushed up the whole dinner mints instead. I also didn't use the frosting in that recipe I used a "winter white frosting recipe" that looked snowy and divine.
f_cremedementhbrownies
Original Recipe : Creme De Menthe Brownies from Cooking with Paula, Nov/Dec.2005

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 (10-ounce) package crème de menthe flavored baking chips
  • Crème de menthe thins, shaved
  • Chocolate frosting
  • B-Healthy Recipe, 01-05-2009

  • 1 stick smart balance 50-50 butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup smart balance light
  • 1.5 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour ( I used an Organic Whole Grain)
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 (10-ounce) package crème de menthe flavored candies, crushed ( Ande's Mints with Chocolate and Green Mint Creme in the middle)
  • Winter White Frosting
    • 1 Tablespoon Meringue powder
    • 2 cups powdered sugar
    • 2 Tablespoons Smart Balance Butter
    • hot water as needed ( less than a tablespoon)


      Instructions:
    • Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
    • In a large mixing bowl and using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs (and substitute), one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, mixing well.
    • In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Gradually stir into butter mixture.

    Christmas 2008 010

    • Fold in mint chips. Spoon into prepared pan.
    • Bake for 35 minutes.
    • While brownies are baking, prepare frosting. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder; beat with an electric mixer until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency using hot water if needed.
    • Remove pan from oven and allow brownies to cool in pan on wire rack.
    Christmas 2008 011

     

    • Cover with frosting. Top with shaved mint thins (I didn't have any left)

     
    Christmas 2008 013

    7 comments:

    Erica said...

    Owwww toooo yummy! Mint and chocolate is one of the best combos!

    LizNoVeggieGirl said...

    Oooh, fabulous!!!

    Simple and Divine said...

    woh baby!

    Anonymous said...

    i loove brownies. i don't care for chocolate cake, but brownies i like =) and those came out really cute!

    Joie de vivre said...

    Oh wow. These look dangerous.

    Anonymous said...

    I love Paula Dean and these look soooo delicious!

    B_Hlthy said...

    Erica- I know!! I really enjoy mint+ chocolate!

    Thanks veg!

    julz- oh yeah!

    Mads- Want some? I packed them into baggies and put them in my freezer. I was way too tempted.

    Joie de vivre: welcome!! so glad to hear from you! yes, these are total delicious and tempting!

    Strong and Healthy: I missed you!! hooray for being back!