About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Monday, October 20, 2008

Chili and Cornbread

Accomplishment feels spectacular!!! unfortunately, I have had sniffles all day and my head felt "swirly" in class... sigh.. that fishing in the rain on the beach this weekend probably wasnt the best idea ...oh well... I knew I wanted to something "warm" like a stew/soup/chili for dinner....

Lunch:
Flat Out Light Wrap
4 Egg Whites , Hard boiled
Hot Sauce
Mustard
Steamed Asiam Veggies ( corn, red pepper, waterchestnuts, snap pea, edamame)
Banana w organic peanut butter

Pre-Class Snack:



Body:
Strength: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps and Hamstrings
Cardio: 7 mile RUN!!! Plus 10 minutes on the elliptical
mile1 9:00 min

mile2 8:40 min

mile3 8:40 min

mile 4 8:20 min

mile 5 7:53 min

mile 6 7:00 min !!!!

mile 7 7:30
My knees felt fantastic during the run but did start feeling achy later this afternoon while walking to class. I really paced myself and tried hard not to run faster for the first 3 miles ( I hate feeling like I am running slow... so I usually just run fast and get pumped the faster I go)


Mind:
-Found great back up articles for minority health but still not one good one

-Finished reading Slow Food Nation this morning, exam tomorrow and paper for Slow Food Nation due next week.

-Reading Organic, Inc after posting!
-Class today was about Unnatural Causes of death and Socioeconomic status ( income and education level combined essentially) being the strongest predictor of health & longevity
-Suduko!

Soul:

I <3>



Came up with a game plan with Jacob's "team" for therapy... I am pysched to help out 2 hours + during the mornings... I think I was getting stressed with the idea of weekends/evenings his mom wanted because it was too hard for me to fit it all in- but in the mornings I can fit in two hours and will be HAPPY to have some more money flow!


Cooked healthy chili and Momma Mo's cornbread "puddin" Laural- style...

My Dinner Bowl: w/ TJ nonfat greek plain

Into the crock pot I put:
1 can organic chili beans

1 can rotel chunky tomatoes and green chiles

1 16 oz can tomato sauce

However much of Hot Sauce ( I like about 2 tablespoons, Jeff likes 5)

In the pan I threw 1/4 chopped onion with 2 cloves of garlic, added ground meat ( I used 93% lean but i like ground turkey and for more people I use the next fat level because its not very much different ( an extra 20-30 cal/serving) until brown... added a tablespoon of chili seasoning and to taste : cumin and chili powder

Then I put the pan mixture into my crock pot, stir and cooked on low for 4+ hours.

I did something new this time though- I cooked and added organic red lentils! They came out like a green mush and I pretty sure I did something wrong- but I threw in three servings of them into the crock pot after everything else ...



So then for the easiest most delicious cornbread pudding ever...
Here is Momma Mo's Southern Recipe

2 boxes Jiffy Corn Mix

2 eggs

1 cup sour cream

1 cup butter

1 can cream corn

1 can fresh kernel corn

...Add it all together mix well, Bake at 350 for 40 minutes

Here is what I did today:

Ingredients:
( I use this 4 inch high, 10 inch round corningware b/c it fits into my toaster oven)
1.5 cup yellow self rising cornmeal

1 cup whole grain organic flour

1 tsp salt

1 Tb Smart Balance 50/50

2 eggs or egg beater substitute

1/2 cup Nonfat SourCream

1/2 cup Plain Nonfat 0% Greek Yogurt

1 can cream corn

1 can whole kernel corn


Melt tablespoon butter into the pie dish/casserole dish, roll it around to coat. I added the egg beaters, sour cream, yogurt and mixed. Then added both cans of corn. In a separate bowl I mixed the dry ingredients, then added the dry to the wet. Mixed it all and baked for 45 minutes at 350. I mixed the center halfway through baking.

Here I come Organic, Inc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that chili & cornbread looks so freakin good!! =P

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Chili & cornbread!!! Classic comfort food.

Anonymous said...

A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses.