About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Sad News Breast Cancer

I just found out my "step-aunt" ( my grandmother re-married about 8 years ago to a wonderful man I consider my grandfather- his daughter would be my step-aunt) was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with Breast Cancer seemingly at Stage 1. Unfortunately, she went back this past week for a follow up and was told it was Stage 4.

She passed away earlier this week due to complications with the cancer's rapid development.

I have always been interested in and supportive of breast cancer research, in particular, the nutrition involved after treatment and potential prevention mechanisms. I am deeply saddened despite not being super "close" to her.

I guess I felt like reaching out, does anyone know anyone who passed away from Breast Cancer?

5 comments:

Simple and Divine said...

Oh man. Man oh man. Yes, I've had far too much experience with BC and I know how it feels to lose someone to the disease... I'm SO incredibly sorry for your loss. Oh Boy. Are you okay, dollbaby? EMAIL or call me if you need anything!
simple.divine@yahoo.com

(I'll give you my number thru email!)

Love to you and your family! You're in my prayers and once again, I am just so sorry <33

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I'm terribly sorry for your loss :0(

B_Hlthy said...

Julz- Thank you so much, your so very kind and I am sorry for your experiences with BC as well.
I am okay, thank you for asking, and being there to listen. I am more angry than upset right now. I am so angry, more than anything. Angry that I didn't grow up in the same place as the rest of my family lived. Angry that I didn't get the time to know her better, Angry that I can't be there right now to comfort my grandma and grandpa and aunts and uncles. Angry that I always want to run the Race for The Cure and I never seem to be able to. Angry that so many women are affected by this and that we still haven't found a cure...thanks for your support!

Veg- Thanks darling, I can't tell you enough how your comments and your blog creations motivate and inspire me everyday!

Peggy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that!

My grandmother died of breast cancer and my mother died of ovarian cancer (at 40). I really feel strongly about the important of awareness related to all female cancers.

I can understand the anger you're feeling. It blows my mind to think how many women die of breast cancer (and other female cancers) and there's no cure....and so many cases of misdiagnosis.

My thoughts are with you.

B_Hlthy said...

Peggy-
Hello and thank you for your kind words. My thoughts are with you and your family too, what a strong person you must be. I am sorry for your losses and agree that awareness is so important. I think "we" are making steps in the right direction, just not fast enough yet to help everyone before its too late.
Best Wishes