About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Savory Oats Attempt #1

Lunch

So I have no idea what's "wrong" with me but I am totally super craving Vegetables and Fruit! I came home from a fantastic workout and wanted vegetables, protein and some whole grains... really.. that is what i was craving!

I put frozen broccoli and spinach into a bowl and heated it up for about 2 minutes in the microwave. I really did think to myself, okay so what about protein and grains? protein- eggs. grains... hmmm.. oats... But How?

I went into the fridge, pulled out the organic potato and leek soup, parmesean cheese and cage free egg whites. I added about 1/2 cup of soup to the broccoli and spinach ( yah more veggies!) and then added 1/2 cup of irish style oats .... Great! A liquid for my oats to soak up! So then I topped it with 1/2 cup of egg whites ( TJ cage free in a carton) and Mixed it all really well...
Sprinkled with Poultry Season ( hooray for turkey day)and microwaved for another 5 minutes. Sprinkled it all with lots of Parmesean, a little salt and pepper-

Prior to microwaving...After sprinkling with lots of cheese....... yummmmmmm
It was definately something I never have made before or heard of or seen. This soup was an excellent liquid for oats rather than water or milk if you are aiming for savory oats! The texture was like a casserole, but only all super healthy ingredients! ( okay okay the parm cheese and poultry seasoning aren't the epitome of health but not all that bad either...)

I liked it enough to want to make it again- Stay tuned for future versions!

1 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for craving vegetables & fruit!! You're channeling your inner-VeggieGirl ;-)