About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Monday, December 22, 2008

Pumpkin French Toast with Warm Fruit "Compote" and Yogurt * Updated*

The "compote" is in quotes because technically a fruit compote begins with a simple syrup of water and sugar, cooked with vanilla or liquor then fruit is added etc etc. The efficient B-Healthy (that's me f.y.i) is all "Why add sugar to something that is sweet already?" so I just heat up frozen unsweetened fruits most of the time. Their juices release and it essentially is a less sugar, more natural version of fruit compote.

I didn't know what I wanted for breakfast but started to make the base for pumpkin pie for one with 1/4 c pumpkin and 1/2 c egg whites. I mixed it really well and saw the loaf of bread that I'd like to finish by Wednesday so it does not go to waste during our holiday travels. A light bulb went off in my head when I saw the bread, I thought, "I will just dip toast into this and make Pumpkin French Toast!"

My pumpkin "batter" was already in my "single pie dish" so I had to slice up the bread for it to fit in there. I like slicing it up before cooking it because the pieces get coated with more batter and it's easier to eat at the end- no need to cut! If you had kids you could use cookie cutters and make shapes like Dinosaurs or Trees! I put Oikos Greek Nonfat Organic Yogurt on top, and I heated up frozen peaches, strawberries, pineapple and cherries for the Fruit Compote.

1 BLOG 005

Here is the plan for today ( and usually when I say that, I actually stick to it hence why I say it!)

Body:

Run. I told my knee and toes to not bother me today but it didn't quite work. I ran 5 miles total, but my knees and toes were bugging me after mile 3. I walked a little (.5 mile total) and finished up the 5 miles.

Mind:

I am still going to go out and look for a job. I'm not sure if I will get crazy looks or find something but I guess I can't give up right?
Cookie Recipe Reading
Eat Pray Love Reading

Soul:
more cookie baking.. upcoming: Chocolate Bourbon Balls and Toffee Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

running

cleaning

pre-packing
I like to be prepared for sleeping away from home 5 nights+ and at 4 different places! So this includes writing out on a piece of paper the activities I need clothing for.. i.e run, beach, shopping, dinner, sleeping, fishing etc. and the days I need them. That way I can formulate the outfit on paper and pack accordingly. I never ever did this until Jeff suggested something like it. I have so much clothing for so many different purposes...i.e my dry fit Nike turtleneck for wicking sweat in 38 * , or my warm up pants for fishing... etc. Its hard to just throw something in a bag when you know you are going to do completely different things at 4 different places! I highly suggest this if you have a hard time packing the right things. I know it seems silly to write down " Wednesday: fishing, lunch out, run, dinner, sleep. Thursday: run, shopping..." you get the idea.

With airlines charging for bags and trying to fit everything in your suitcase, I don't think those convertible wraps that were on The Today Show this past week that turn into yoga outfits and turn into a dress and then into a top - work well for anyone going away for more than 2 days in cold weather! Writing out what you really will be doing while away helps you write down what you really need to wear-- and thus bring with you-- instead of throwing in your favorite outfit ( that isn't suitable for say a run or the beach or shopping!).


That is my monday! Hope all of you have a wonderful happy monday, it's a short work week for most so that is great starting thought!! Is anyone travelling all over for the whole week ?

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Perfect start to you day - yum!!

Good luck with your Monday!!

Danielle said...

Breakfast looks divine! I wish I would've waited to read blogs before I ate mine... I would've copied you :)

Enjoy your Monday and the Eat, Pray, Love reading part especially, I love that book.

Anonymous said...

Oh...wow. And to think that I couldn't imagine of a way to make French toast even better! ;)

Erica said...

I am the same way when I travel- I totally plan out my packing, etc. That creation looks absolutely incredible. I hope you enjoyed every bite!

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome when you write out a plan you stick to it. Haha that rarely happens for me!!

B_Hlthy said...

Thanks yall!
It was divine, delish, and I am totally having it again tomorrow!