About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Another Great Day with Eggplant Chicken Pasta Bake

Body:

Walked 2 miles with my mom and jack ( 2 loops around their neighborhood!) it was sooooo windy! After we had chatted about the day ahead, I decided that staying here another night would allow me to get a good workout in today instead of being tired today after a drive home. So, we headed to the gym after lunch..  

The gym workout today: A fantastic RUN!! I am so happy with my time!
Distance: 5.34 miles in 40 minutes flat! That is over 2.5 minutes less than my 8K Race on Thanksgiving Day  and even faster since I ran 0.23 miles longer!

Woohoo! When we got back I did a 20 minute session of Yoga. I just did my own thang with warrior 2, triangle pose, warrior 1, downward facing dog, etc. I think downward dog is my favorite position because I find myself just hanging out in it for awhile.


Mind:
Read even more of Eat, Pray, Love ( so far another 30 pages for today). I think its being here at my parents, its like a vacation and at home I find a million other things to do instead of sit down and read!

Caught up on blogs too!

Job searching ( also in soul)

Soul:
My mom and I are baking a cheesecake, we made dinner together and the walk together was fantastic as always!

She also helped me sew up a few shirts that needed taken in (Thanks mom)

Jeff had some news about a vehicle, but I should be able to report for sure Monday. 

Speaking of monday, I start Spring Semester that day! Phew! That break just totally flew by. I am not "ready" to come back, but excited to take more classes for sure! 

One of my resolutions for this year is to get together with "old" friends that I haven't seen in awhile- but I am still working on more.

I job searched! (gasp) I found a few positions that I might could do over spring semester but mostly looked into jobs I could obtain with ONLY a master's degree in nutrition instead of both the MS and the RD certification/internship. I found a few possibilities but I was hoping to find something that could maybe help pay for the internship/certification. We'll see.


Okay, now on to the food people...

Pre Walk Snack/Breakfast: Banana and Smucker's All Natural
1 BLOG 001
After Walk Brunch:
Leftover Chicken Stir-Fry (chicken, broccoli, waterchestnuts, red and yellow bell pepper, carrots, cauliflower)
1 BLOG 003

Lunch:

Egg White Sammy ( slice of Arnold All Natural Whole Grain White) over Salad with Blueberries and Apple Slices, Hummus and Goddess Dressing ( and a pickle but I only had a bite).
1 BLOG 004
Dinner:

Prepare yourselves for this one yall- It is oh so YUMMY!

Eggplant Chicken Pasta Bake!!I got this idea from Giada Di Laurentis, the other day she layered a corningware dish with grilled eggplant slices ( she used the fancy schmany grill top on her oven- wish I had that!!) and then cooked sausage and beef with onions and garlic. She tossed in pasta and tomato sauce.So here is what I did tonight with my mom:

layered eggplant slices that I had grilled with a little olive oil in to a 13 x 9 dish.
1 BLOG 007
We made the pasta as directed.
1 BLOG 005
Sauteed onions with garlic and cooked sliced chicken.
1 BLOG 006
Tossed it all together with the tomato sauce and put it on top of the eggplant- * while all of this had been cooking I was grilling big slices of eggplant one by one on a foreman grill*
  1 BLOG 008
We added a light covering of parmesean cheese and mozzarella
1 BLOG 009
then layered the eggplant on top.
1 BLOG 010
Baked in a convection oven for 20 minutes at 325.

I cut it into 8 sections since we used 4 chicken breasts and the whole box of pasta (8 servings).
1 BLOG 014
My plate with organic mixed greens
1 BLOG 015

I loved it as did my dad ( who doesnt like eggplant apparently but enjoyed this!) and my mom really enjoyed it as well! The only thing I would have enjoyed more is another half jar of tomato sauce ( extra sauce to me is delish!)


Not done yet for the day though- We already made the cheesecake and it's cooling now. I will start another post for it shortly...

How was everyone's Hump Day!?!  What is one thing you do to calm yourself in stressful situations?  If I don't do yoga, I try repeating to myself, "I have the strength to get through it".

5 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Looks great!!

Erica said...

Another fabulous day with great eats- your dinner looks AMAZING! Glad you got in a nice workout- you are so fast! Can't wait to hear about the SUV!

Anonymous said...

wow that eggplant dish looks awesome!!
would you recommend that eat pray love book??

Anonymous said...

the eggplant chicken pasta bake looks delish! definitely going to make that next time I find some decent eggplant at the grocery store

B_Hlthy said...

Veg: It was !!

Erica: I know me neither- I might be able to update tonight!

Mads: OMG - yes in a heartbeat I would recommend! It is worth having and reading over and over !

Greetings Sweetandfit! I love to hear comments from readers! Thank you for enjoying the recipe, Sorry you don't have good eggplant in your stores! We didn't either as I wanted to use more eggplant to cover. Fortunately, the one we found was big and worked!