About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Controlling Fate


I keep finding these insanely appropriate passages that I relate to in this book I am reading. I keep wanting to write more about them but haven't yet. This one was really staying with me so I thought I would share with you some of what I read last night...

There is so much about my fate that I cannot control, but other things do fall under my jurisdiction. There are certain lottery tickets I can buy, that can increase my chances of finding contentment. I can decide how I spend my time, whom I spend it with, whom I share my life and money and energy with. I select what I eat and read and study. I can choose how I'm going to regard unfortunate circumstances in my life-- whether I will see them as curses or opportunities ( and on the occasions when I can't rise to the most optimistic viewpoint, because I'm feeling too damn sorry for myself, I can choose to keep trying to change my outlook). I can choose my words and the tone of my voice in which I speak to others. And most of all, I can choose my thoughts.


- from Author Elizabeth Gilbert, in Eat, Pray, Love.

Happy Wednesday to All, be back later with a recap!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great book! I babysit my teacher's daughters occasionally and his wife had this book and last week I actually picked it up and started reading! I didn't actually realise that I had seen it before until I linked the title to the passage!!!

Simple and Divine said...

Wow. You never fail to totally reach this girl! Love every post :) Happy Humpday Doll!!

Anonymous said...

I am in the middle of reading this book, too! I folded down that page because I loved that passage so much. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love that book! I'm not surprised you're addicted! Have a fun day!

B_Hlthy said...

Therunningaddict: oh how great! I really like it so far too.

thanks babycakes!! super supportive as always julz!


Lara: How coincidental!! That is awesome! I loved this passage because I find myself needing that reassurance ever so often that I really do make my choices and buy my "lottery tickets". Glad to have a "reading partner" too!

StrongandHealthy: I know!! I sent you an email back but from my yahoo ( my school email gets fowarded to my "home" account) so check it out!

HangryPants said...

When I read that book I had so many things tabbed and highlighted. I loved many parts of it especially the parts about happniess and fate. I want to reread it right now!