About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

B_Healthy's Bourbon VeggieGirl Blondies

I completely support anyone who chooses or needs to be on gluten free diets, vegan, vegetarian etc. Even though I do not personally take part in any of these, I find VeggieGirl's creations quite spectacular. I find it even more spectacular because with those restrictions, I can imagine how very hard it can be to find foods or make foods that support it let alone be delicious! So I thought I would try out a delicious blondie recipe from VeggieGirl herself with some of my own adaptions to her adaptions!

I have been itching to make these and came home to realize I had no dried fruit, and almost out of frozen fruit! I had leftover heath toffee pieces from xmas baking. I also had leftover marshmallows from Chocolate Windows and rice krispie cereal, which will never get eaten! So I made LOTS of adaptions!

  • ** Adapted from Veggie Girl's Fig-Almond Blondies ( click to get her recipe)
  • (** which she had brilliantly adapted from the Raspberry-Almond Blondies recipe from Martha Stewart's cooking website**)
  • 6 ounces nonfat greek yogurt (I used Trader Joes)
  • 1/4 cup Smart Balance Oil
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 3 teaspoons maple syrup ( I don't like or have molasses)
  • 1.5 cups flour (I used Organic Whole Grain All Purpose Flour)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup almonds, finely-sliced
  • 1 cup marshmallows
  • 3/4 cup Crisp Cereal
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate toffee pieces
  • Bourbon!! I had about 1 tablespoon left
    • Milk of choice, added to the batter as needed

    Get-It-Made:

    Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly coat an 7 x 11 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

    In a large bowl, add in the yogurt, oil, sugar, vanilla extract, Bourbon and syrup. Mix well.
    In the same bowl, add in the flour, baking soda, sliced/slivered almonds, marshmallows, krispie cereal, and toffee. As the mixture starts to thicken up/combine, add as much of the milk as you need (but not too much) so that the batter is mixable. ( Mine was very mixable/gooey if you will)

    Pour mixture into the pan ( I used a 9 x 13 by mistake but wish I had used a slightly smaller pan) (coated generously with nonstick cooking spray).

    Bake for about 32-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the blondies comes out clean.


    The result:
    1 BLOG 019
    Oooey Gooey delicious Blondies!
    I have no idea how they came out as delicious as they did! I feel as though mine were Kitchen Sink Blondies and Veggie Girls "base" is just a fantastic blondie recipe in general! I most certainly will make these again, but I will use a smaller pan ( that was in the directions I am just silly) and probably not use dried fruit and chocolate chips instead of the toffee/marshmallow.

    I will update the review tonight after Jeff's family have a taste...

1 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

This is so incredible!!! I'm so touched that you tried the recipe - I LOOOOOOVE your variation!! Can't wait to find out the reviews :-)