About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Foodie

My friday started out with a smoothie and steel cut oats and half a banana and pb.
1 BLOG 005

1 BLOG 007

To save some time since we have a busy saturday of just "saturday stuff"- I am just going to highlight a few things...

I had Steamed Brussel Sprouts with green cabbage and some goddess dressing- Let me say, this was SO delicious! I actually had another bowl of this with some cheese on top!
1 BLOG 005

I made another version of blondies based off on Veggie Girl's Fig Almond Blondies and also inspired by my not so greatest -latest version of Bourbon Blondies.

This batch came out very very tasty and very cake like. Here is the recipe I used:

** Adapted from Veggie Girl's Fig-Almond Blondies ( click to get her recipe)

(** which she had brilliantly adapted from the Raspberry-Almond Blondies recipe from Martha Stewart's cooking website**)

  • 6 ounces nonfat greek yogurt (I used Trader Joes)
  • 1/4 cup Smart Balance Oil
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup ( I don't have molasses but it is in the brown sugar so I decreased the maple)
  • 1.5 cups flour (I used Organic Whole Grain All Purpose Flour)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup almonds, finely-sliced
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
    • Milk of choice, added to the batter as needed

    Get-It-Made:

    Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly coat an 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

    In a large bowl, add in the yogurt, oil, sugar, vanilla extract, and syrup. Mix well.

    In the same bowl, add in the flour, baking soda, sliced/slivered almonds, chocolate chips, and oats. As the mixture starts to thicken up/combine, add as much of the milk as you need (I used less than 1/4 cup) so that the batter is mixable.

    Pour mixture into the pan ( I used an 8 x 8 , coated generously with nonstick cooking spray).

    Bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the blondies comes out clean.

    The result:
    1 BLOG 003

1 BLOG 013

I really liked this version but they did remind me more of coffee-cake. Still fabulously delicious, and yummy, but worth more experimenting to get to more of a blondie-texture....


Saturday Morning Breakfast:
Banana's Foster French Toast!
1 BLOG 014
I had a comment ( Thanks Dori!) about this when I made it quite some time ago, you can check it out here at Banana's Foster Stuffed French Toast , so I remembered how good that was, and definitely was inspired to make it this morning.

Two slices with leftover egg mix scrambled. The "stuffing" is just a little Cabot Cottage cheese and cinnamon and bananas.

1 BLOG 016

For "Banana's Foster" or also on here I refer to them as "fry pan bananas": I slice up the banana into a pan heated to medium. That is it- flip em after about 2 minutes. If the bananas are ripe enough ( not green at all, some brown spots)- Their sugars are more readily available. Thus, when you slice it into the pan- those sugars caramelize on the sides of the banana. You could of course add brown sugar and some rum to do a true "banana's foster". I prefer without because you get all that flavor and sweetness in a little bit healthier way.



Off to enjoy the weekend- Hope everyone has a great weekend and STAYS WARM!! It is 24* here! brrrr, but much better than -10 !

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, stam warm, that is for sure! Wow, baking turned out delicious! And everything looks amazing! Mmmm, french toast! Scrumptious!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

oh i love bananas foster! its one of my all-time fav desserts...i think you may have forgotten the alcohol & flambéing part...lol

your blondies look amazing! I love how they browned perfectly on top, it looks like they formed a great little crust. I wanna give them a try sometime soon, i have never used greek yogurt in baking - sounds interesting. have a great weekend!

Erica said...

All this food looks awesome. I love veggie girl, I have been wanting to try her blondie recipe for a while now! Yayy for brussels! Have a great day

B_Hlthy said...

thanks sharon! you too!

sweetandfit: I know I forgot the alcohol/flambee part but I think this way without them tastes nearly just as good without all the calories/sugar/cooking!

I think the yogurt works very well- I have this odd flour- its organic and all purpose but also Whole Grain... so its healthy but it definitely has changed the texture of nearly everything I have baked!

Erica- Happy Weekend! I love brussel sprouts- hate the smell- but love em- and veggie girl is just so talented, I am grateful she doesn't mind me experimenting with her recipe!

Anonymous said...

Bananas foster french toast sounds like the perfect Saturday morning breakfast! Yummy blondies! Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Bananas foster is my favorite dessert ever!!!
Can I ask what you put in your smoothies?

HangryPants said...

The blondies look great and so does that french toast. Have a great Sunday!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for the blondies!! :-D

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! That is a fantastic-sounding blondie recipe! They look perfect! I haven't had blondies in ages. You've inspired me!