About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What I ate to help me through Day 2...

1 BLOG 001
Breakfast:
I took water and protein powder and quick cook steel cut oats and mixed them all together - microwaved for about 3 minutes? . I added frozen blueberries and cinnamon and peanut butter! We were out of bananas and milk this morning so I knew I had to head to the store!

I wasn't quite sure how well it would turn out because I am not up to speed with cooking properties of protein powder, which is typically not cooked. I do know how it can clump and not work out well- but this was fantastic!

Post Fantastic Run Fuel:
A slice of pizza ( I had made this the other day and gave it to Jeff for lunches etc.) there was this guy left so I had him with a salad: cabbage, baby spinach, arugula, goddess dressing, cabot cottage cheese...
1 BLOG 007
I also sliced up that lovely pineapple with a kiwi. It was incredibly juicy and sweet and tropical. I almost felt like I was in Hawaii or something...
1 BLOG 013

So I ate all of this lunch while I prepared dinner....

Eggplant Bolognese Lasagna!

I cooked 8 lasagna noodles as directed while browning 93% lean ground beef ( and one buffalo chicken sausage I had froze, thawed, and de-cased). When the noodles and meat were done, i put the meat in an empty pot and filled in with a jar of hunts pasta sauce ( garlic and herb) , a jar of TJ Marinara, and a jar of Bolognese sauce...

In the now empty meat pan, I sauteed eggplant slices with a little smart balance oil. I put sauce in the bottom of a 9x13, layered one layer of noodles, sprinkled with a little parm cheese then eggplant slices then covered with a layer of the tomato meat sauce, then sprinkled with shredded mozzarella and globbed with cabot cottage cheese.
1 BLOG 008
I repeated with a layer of noodles and sprinkling of cheese
1 BLOG 009

eggplant slices

1 BLOG 010

tomato meat sauce
1 BLOG 011
mozzarella shredded...
1 BLOG 012
Dinner: 1/12th ! with a little extra sauce!

1 BLOG 014

I am so glad I made the big pot of sauce I did- I love having extra sauce available and now I can use it for pasta later this week OR it freezes so nicely that I can just freeze portions for whenever!

I am in the mood for dessert- especially with the run this morning! I was surprised that although class was longer than expected, I was NOT hungry at all until I got home. I will probably bring a snack on wednesdays from now on though, esp since the class is 3 hours long!

Did you all have a wonderful wednesday?

I definitely feel like I did! Sometimes I get so excited about life in general just thinking about what my future holds ( like an engagement, a wedding, getting my degree, getting my certification, finding a great job, having babies, fixing up my home etc etc ) , even if it may not all happen the way I think or when, it is just uplifting to think about for me.

10 comments:

Erica said...

Please send me that fruit and a piece of that good looking lasagna!

Erica said...

haha you're too sweet ;)

Ok so here is the deal with Frank- because he is an english bulldog and has breathing/joint problems- we were told by our vet that I can only walk him 1/4 mile a day! I'm not even kidding! So its not really even a walk! If I do too much more than that he limps! I would ask your vet how long he/she thinks you should walk your baby!

Anonymous said...

haha, now i feel a little dumb...I see you use frozen blueberries in ur oats =)

I know that every time I try to bake with whey protein powder, I notice that whatever I am baking endds up browning easier and faster than if were to use just plain flour - as in it looks burnt around the edges but its really not =/

i love ur positive and optimistic outlook on everything! I need more of that in my life, hopefully it will rub off on me =)

Anonymous said...

aww i love your positivity =D those are all great things to look forward to =)

and OMygosh you have got me craving fruit. especially that pineapple. i think pineapple is my all-time fav fruit. *DRROOOL*!!!

ok bye!
Mads

aussirish said...

the lasagna and fruit looks fantastic :) when i make lasagna i make it with abergine slices instead of pasta!
i love how positive and excited you are for the future :)

Anonymous said...

Love your eats today...the oatmeal, fruit, lasagna! Yum! So glad you had a great day!

Thank you sooo much for the websites and books. I knew you were the right person to ask! I'll let you know what I read!

Bridget said...

That fruit looks so delicious! As does your dinner! Whenever I cook like that I love to have lots of leftovers too!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh I love lasagna...and I always freeze portions for later and require extra sauce, too!
Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts today :)

Anonymous said...

what an amazing looking lasagna! fruit looks great too, big yums to you!

HangryPants said...

Love the eggplant dish - I'm on an eggplant kick right now!

I've baked w/ protein powder and everything worked out fine. I like it cause you can't taste it like you can in a shake.