About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Whole Wheat "Buttermilk" Pancakes on a SNOW DAY!

Whole Wheat "Buttermilk" Pancakes!!
1 BLOG 009
I have been meaning to make pancakes for so long- I ate pancakes ALL the time growing up and in college ALL the time too. I think that is part of my lack of motivation for making them now. Plus, I have never liked maple syrup much ( no, not that real stuff either). However, Jeff and I both have a SNOW DAY! 4 inches overnight and it is STILL coming down! Over 800 schools are closed! Guess what the funny part is, friday it is supposed to be back up to 60* . I am so happy for Jeff ( who never really gets to see snow because he grew up here) and especially his neice and nephew who have literally NEVER seen it snow! They got sleds for christmas on the chance it would snow. We might take Lurlota over there today to watch them play! Here is our backyard and a random dog that escaped its owners- now we know how others feel when jack does this to them. We tried to get him so we could take him home but he just thought we were playing chase and ran away from us..
1 BLOG 001

1 BLOG 002

1 BLOG 003
Back to Breakfast... so I wanted pancakes and eggs. I found a recipe on cooking light (of course) for whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. In my Southern Living Cookbook, it notes that you can use plain yogurt as an appropriate substitute for buttermilk. So, that is what I did! Here is the recipe link http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=571883

I made lots of adaptions to this Original Recipe,
Original Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg white
  • Cooking spray
  • 3/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3 tablespoons butter

MY WAY EASIER, EVEN HEALTHIER Ingredients
Dry

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/3 teaspoon salt

Wet

  • 3/4 cup Nonfat Greek Plain Yogurt ( I used TJ, in place of buttermilk)
  • 1 tablespoon oil ( smart balance)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg white
  • Milk as needed- I used about 1/4 cup

Get-It-Made

Combine everything in a bowl- Just started at the top of the list (dry) and go down through all the wet until the milk. I stirred in the milk as I needed it to get a pourable but NOT runny consistency. I used a whisk to stir until the milk, then I used an angled rubber spatula ( for scraping the bowl)

Heated a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Poured about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle. Turn pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. This made 10 good sized pancakes- I had 3 just fyi- and they were incredibly filling!

I gathered the nutrition info on a recipe analyzer site- I used nutritiondata.com. I had to register but it was super quick to register. The whole batch (with no add ins) was 42 grams of protein, 106 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of fiber, 9 grams of fat. Calorie total for the whole batch: 673 total. So, about 67 kcal per pancake. Not too shabby!


OH MY GOSH!! These were phenomenal in my opinion and easy- none of the measure with a knife combine stir, add from this bowl to another bowl to another mess. I wanted pancakes and I wanted them now! I reduced the sugar from the original, they actually came out quite sweet with the reduced sugar anyway. The yogurt I used had more protein and no fat compared to low fat buttermilk.

I added Reese's Pieces to Jeff's after the bubbles appeared, then flipped. For 2 of ours I added frozen blueberries, frozen- just before the bubbles appeared.
1 BLOG 006
Smile! SNOW DAY!

I topped one with a little smear of peanut butter, had scrambled eggs on the side and a glob of yogurt with a speck of maple syrup. My favorite topping is warmed frozen fruit- which I also had, along with coffee ( Jeff made it today!).
1 BLOG 008
Like that mug, "Waste Not Want Not" great phrase.

Off to literally play in the snow all day!

9 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

GORRRRGEOUS pancakes!!

Happy Tuesday!!

aussirish said...

ive had the BIGGEST pancake craving for a good while now but havent managed to find any yummy sounding reciepes but yours is healthy and not too complicated so il definetly be making these as soon as i get a chance :) thanks for the reciepe!
have a great day!

Erica said...

yum yum yum! Totally jealous that you get to stay home and hang out together! Enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

What a hearty breakfast!!! And I love how you modified the recipe! Looks so much easier to tackle

HangryPants said...

I had pancakes today, too! Mine were not quite as healthy though. I agree - I used to eat pancakes all the time in college and law school. They are fabulous.

Have a fun snow day!

Anonymous said...

The pancakes look wonderful! A couple weeks ago I made pancakes using Organic FlaxPlus Multigrain Pancake Mix (because the only thing you need to add is water and oil!) for my boyfriend, and I threw in some pumpkin butter and frozen blueberries as well. He LOVED them. There is nothing like pancakes!

Anonymous said...

Happy Snow Day to you!!!!!!! What a wonderful day to make pancakes and spend time with your guy!!!

Taylor said...

Holyy Yummo! I just found your blog and I am making those freakin delicious pancakes! Thanks for that wonderful recipe!

Anonymous said...

those pancakes look wonderful! You are so good and creative with "healthi-fying" recipes... I love how you put Reese's pieces on Jeff's and blueberries in your pancakes.