About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Breakfast Pumpkin Pie for One

I watched christmas movies last night and keep seeing Holiday stuff all the time ( the only marketing that every seems to influence me is holiday stuff!) So I had this idea last night of making an individual pumpkin pie for breakfast! But, of course, make it "B_Healthy" style. Isn't it cute!? I thought it tasted absolutely fantastic and worth the amount of work/dishes I had to do (considering I usually don't take much time at all)!


Here is what I did:

"Crust":

What to do:

  • 1/2 Cup total of Irish oats ( I mixed flaxseed cereal with it too)
  • Put into an oven AND microwave safe dish (I used this corningware dish) with
  • 1/2 cup water ( so that the oats are soaked but not floating in water)
  • Microwaved for 2 minutes
  • Spread out oat crust to the sides of the dish so that its a flat crust like shape
  • Put oven-safe dish into (toaster) oven at 375 for about 5 minutes

"Filling"


What to do:
  • Mix following ngredients into a separate bowl
  • 1/4 c organic pumpkin puree
  • 1/3 cup egg beaters- or I've used carton egg whites
  • pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon Brown sugar
  • Microwave for 2 minutes till slightly firm

Put-It All-Together:

  • Take out crust dish w/ oven mitt!
  • Spoon this slightly firm mix into the crust dish

  • Put back into oven for another 8 minutes + at 375

Topped with a spoonful of "cream" aka nonfat greek yogurt, sprinkled with cinnamon






YUMMM!
on the side I had blueberries, cranberries, mango- all frozen and heated in the microwave for a few minutes




Calorie Total if you are interested:
220 for the pie, 10-20 for the yogurt glob, about 50 for the fruit..total about 290
Fiber: 8g
Protein: 16g
Fat: 3g (the healthy unsaturated kind from oats)
What a difference from nutrition of pumpkin pie-The only taste difference was really overall sweetness! This was sweet but it wasn't "Dessert" sweet so it was a great breakfast because the soluble/insoluble fiber from oats and flaxseeds, the protein from the egg, the big dose of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals from the veggie and fruit servings ( pumpkin, blueberries, mango, cranberries) makes this an long-lasting healthy breakfast!


Body:
I would like to get in a run before class today but first I would much rather...

Mind:
..Finish my powerpoint for next wednesday's class- so that I can practice it over the weekend with my family

Soul:
Got 9.5 hours of sleep! I know I needed it, so I'm not too concerned with getting in the run or not today because I am still stuffy! ICK!! AND.. I had more trouble with my asthma than usual today. So the problem is mentally, I am like "okay lets go lets go, long easy run, project, pack etc etc" but then my body is like "eh!" (annoyingly)... not "ugggh I can't move" (awful)
Does that make sense? Not sure what to do yet...

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

LOVE. YOUR. BREAKFAST. OH. MY. FREAKING. GOODNESS.

Hope your body doesn't feel "eh!" anymore!! ;-)

B_Hlthy said...

It was soooo good!

still eh... thanks though!

Anonymous said...

this looks amazing! now i know what to have as my post-spinning breakfast tomorrow!!!!!!!!