About Me

My photo
I am currently working on a Master's Degree in Nutrition and requirements for Registered Dietician R.D. I plan to run my first full marathon in 2009. This blog is about everything I learn, eat, and do along the way. Cheers!

Monday, December 22, 2008

Chocolate Bourbon Truffles

1 BLOG 017
1 BLOG 018
I found the recipe from Recipe Zaar (online search). Figured I would try it out since both Jeff and I enjoy chocolate and bourbon of course.

Ingredients

    · 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened fat free condensed milk

    · 2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips ( i used a mix of milk chocolate and mostly semisweet)

    · 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

    · 2 tablespoons bourbon +

    · 1/2 to 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans ( I used sliced almonds b/c that is what I have)

    · For rolling after : granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa, or very finely chopped pecans ( as you can see above, I rolled some in cocoa, some in powdered sugar, and some plain).

Directions

  1. Combine chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan over low heat. Heat, stirring, until melted and smooth; remove from heat. 1 BLOG 009

  2. Stir in the vanilla, bourbon, and 1/2 cup almonds ( or pecans and more if you prefer). Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and chill for 3 to 4 hours, or until mixture is firm.
    1 BLOG 010
    1 BLOG 020

  3. Working with fingertips, shape ( I used my palm to roll them) into 1-inch balls; roll in finely any of the following chopped pecans, sugar, or unsweetened cocoa. Place on a tray or baking sheet, cover loosely, and chill for at least 1 hour. If desired, put each truffle in a decorative fluted paper or foil cup and keep in tightly covered container in the refrigerator until giving or serving. Keep these refrigerated, tightly covered
    1 BLOG 016

    Tips:

    1. After you refrigerate for the 4 hours, Prep all the toppings you want to roll in.
    2. Prep what you will be putting them in as well
    3. Make sure you have nothing you need to do with your hands... move things, answer phones etc.
    4. Use a knife to scrape down the sides of the bowl to loosen up the "ganache dough"
    5. I say all these tips because once you touch this stuff, its mess -city on your hands... I couldn't take a photo because my hands were covered in chocolate- It was easy to keep shaping and rolling but I didn't want to keep washing my hands to do something then come back to it.

7 comments:

HangryPants said...

Rolling balls is a gigantic pain in the ass! Good work.

B_Hlthy said...

haha it was kind of a pain in the but... yesterday it was 65* and today it was high of 35*... I was totally in the mood for indoor winter activities today..

Caitlin said...

These look amazing. And thanks for the inspiration with your new blog look! It made me start playing around with mine (which I did instead of write anything new:) Yours looks great!

Anonymous said...

These look so good. I really think I know what I'm making tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

yum they look so good!! great job :)

Anonymous said...

Scrumptious!! Saving this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Love the presentation. Just as good as store bought.